What can I do if I feel the amount of my taxes seem too High?
•The amount of tax is determined from the budget needs of the taxing districts. Many kinds of taxing districts exist in Idaho. Some, like cities and counties, levy taxes to provide a wide range of services. Others levy taxes for specific purposes like highways, schools, or fire protection. Officials for each taxing district determine the annual budget needed to provide the district’s services. The part of the approved budget to be funded by property tax is divided by the total taxable value of all properties within the district. The result is the district’s tax rate (or levy). This rate, multiplied by the taxable value of your property, determines the amount of taxes you owe to that district. Each property is located within several independent taxing districts. Your property tax bill will include taxes for all the districts where you live. The tax rate for a taxing district is the same for all taxable properties within that taxing district.
•Value changes don’t equal tax changes. Since taxes are based on the budgets of taxing districts, those districts can budget the same amount from property tax from one year to the next, but when property values go down, the levy rate goes up automatically to compensate. If one property’s value increases more than others, its taxes go up faster than others. For most taxing districts, budgets are set in August or early September, so final property tax amounts aren’t certain until then.
•If you have questions about how your value was developed or believe that value to be wrong, the first thing you need to do is contact the Gooding County Assessor’s Office. Most concerns can be resolved by talking with them.
•If the Assessor is unable to resolve your concern and you don’t agree that your assessed value reflects the market value of your property on Jan. 1, (calculated before subtracting the homeowner’s exemption), you must file an appeal with your county commissioners by the 4th Monday in June. Contact the Gooding County Commissioners office to file an appeal with the board of equalization. (The board of county commissioners meets as the board of equalization.) For most assessments, the board of equalization meets to hear appeals between the fourth Monday in June and the second Monday in July.
•If you disagree with a decision from the board of equalization, you may appeal that decision within 30 days to the state board of tax appeals. The county Commissioner’s Office has information to help you file such an appeal.

Show All Answers

1. When are property taxes due?
2. Are there any important deadlines?
3. How and Where do I pay my Taxes?
4. I received TWO bills but I only have ONE property. Why?
5. My MORTGAGE COMPANY should pay this tax. Why did you send me a bill?
6. Where does my tax money GO? What is a TAXING DISTRICT?
7. What are MY responsibilities as a property owner and taxpayer?
8. Is there a Tax Reduction Program?
9. Do you have Delinquent PROPERTY SALE?
10. Is any tax RELIEF available to HOMEOWNERS?
11. Will I be sent any OTHER NOTICES?
12. What is the NOTICE I received from the ASSESSOR and how does it relate to taxes?
13. What can I do if I feel the amount of my taxes seem too High?
14. What if my payment is LATE?
15. What are my PAYMENT OPTIONS? Can I make PARTIAL PAYMENTS or get a HEAD START on future taxes?
16. How do I change my ADDRESS?